Thursday, May 19, 2011

2010 Census Profiles for Utah now Available!

(Click to Enlarge)
Today, the U.S. Census Bureau released 2010 data profiles for Utah. These profiles provide a sampling of information from the 2010 Census for the state, counties, towns, etc. Of course, remember than much of the demographic information previously collected by the Census (income, employment, etc.) is now provided by the American Community Survey. Here's the population/housing counts you can expect to find in the profiles:

  • Age
  • Gender
  • Race
  • Ethnicity
  • Households
  • Relationships
  • Families
  • Group Quarters
  • Occupied Housing Units
  • Rented Units
  • Owned Units
  • Tenure
Yes, I am a data geek. So, I looked up the profile for my town (Toquerville, UT) and discovered that the median age is 37, roughly 30 percent of the population is under the age of 18, about 94 percent of residents categorize themselves as "white, not Hispanic," the average family size is 3.4, and 11 percent of the housing units are vacant. Yes, you too, can learn all this wonderful information from the new Census profiles!

Click here to access the "factfinder" for Census data. Unfortunately, the user interface is not all that user-friendly in my personal opinion. However, there are some video tutorials on the site. Also, (and I hope I'm not getting myself into too much trouble/work here) if you want to e-mail me, I'd be glad to download the profile you'd like and send it to you.